Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#485435 04/18/10 12:32 AM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
You guys are probably missing this, I know I'm probably the only Jazz fan around here, but it's a helluva game. No Kirilenko, Okur out now, but Utah is showing a toughness I haven't seen there for a long time.

D-Will is taking over in the 3rd quarter. I think Denver is really missing Karl. They can't seem to keep their intensity more than in spurts.

4th is gonna be intense.

A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.

John Barrymore
hooter #485436 04/18/10 01:55 AM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Post game review:

Not really as bad a 4th quarter as it looked. Smith just caught fire, Denver wasn't killing it inside like in the first half. CJ Miles had absolutely nothing after that collision with Billups. He was hurt. Thats 3 starters basically out at that point and the guys left were just too worn out to get back into the game. Booze needed to become dominant in the 4th to even out that burst from Smith, and it didn't happen.

Anthony is just an amazing player. His ability to get the ball up and get a good shot off before the defender really has time to get in position is better than anybody in the league. He's just too quick, too good a shot when he is comfortable. Had an awesome game.

Nene did way too much damage too, taking advantage of the small Utah lineup. He just beat them up inside in the first half.

Utah really needs Kirilenko. Bad. Okur's shot is definitely missed, but with AK-47 in the game Utah's defense becomes much, much better. If he can't get back in time for the 1st home game it becomes pretty tough to see my Jazz winning this series.

Okur gets an MRI tomorrow, they are looking at his Achilles. Crossing my fingers on that one. Fesenko and Koufos are strictly development guys. There just isn't anything behind Millsap as far as bigs.

The best news on this team is the undrafted Matthews, who along with Miles is showing that trading off Brewer wasn't as crazy as it sounded at the time. Korver really put in a great effort as well.

Game 2 is going to show weather that 3rd quarter was the true character of Utah or not. I still think the absence of Karl is going to cost them a game or two they should win at some point.

John Barrymore
hooter #485437 04/18/10 02:56 AM
Legend
Legend
Sorry, but I wish nothing good for any team that Carlos Loozer is a member of .....

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Sorry, but I wish nothing good for any team that Carlos Loozer is a member of .....

i'm over it.

and honestly, look at it like this. it was a blessing in disguise. boozer has been an underachiever and a guy who can't stay healthy. has not lived up to his potential.

we lost him, but in turn, we were forced to do something to replace what he gave us, and in the process got a young man from brasil with crazy hair.

maybe andy doesn't get all the stats and other accolades that a guy like boozer gets, but he is vital to the cavs' success. when he plays like he did yesterday, being active at both ends, it's almost impossible to beat this current team. he was a huge reason the cavs were a bunch of overachievers in years' past. don't think it was just lbj that got us to the finals that one year.

Legend
Legend
Oh, I'm not mad that he left. I think that he and the Jazz got exactly what they deserved given the way they each handled that particular transaction.

I am, however, still disgusted by the way he lied to the Cavaliers.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

Oh, I'm not mad that he left. I think that he and the Jazz got exactly what they deserved given the way they each handled that particular transaction.

I am, however, still disgusted by the way he lied to the Cavaliers.

i'm a big believer in karma.

i absolutely love people that think there wasn't an unspoken deal in place. and yes we know it was against nba rules, but why would the cavs, at the time, rip up boozer's deal without word that they would sign the new one?

like "oh, we're gonna rip up the contract of a young power forward with all star potential, and maaaaaaaaaaybe he comes and signs back"

i'll take jameson/andy over boozer any day. i'm glad that entire fiasco went down.

you look back on everything that happened with the cavs and it's pretty amazing, it's like things are actually falling into place instead of falling apart.

hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Quote:

boozer has been an underachiever and a guy who can't stay healthy. has not lived up to his potential.

Can't really disagree with that. Boozer always seems to get his 20 and 10, but doesn't turn up the dial in the 4th quarter like an elite player should. He is a very good player that never quite reaches great. I love what he does, he just disappears in the 4th too often.

I do think we haven't read the whole book on the Booze. This is a contract year, and the best playoff team he has ever been on. He also is being spoon-fed by the best point guard in the league. Carlos has a lot of reasons to be motivated and what he does in this series could go a long way towards getting himself a lot richer.

For all the bashing I just did, however, Boozer is easily the 2nd best player in Utah. He is really, really good with the ball in his hands. I expect bigger things out of him as the series goes on.

Love this time of year.

John Barrymore
hooter #485442 04/19/10 12:10 AM
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
I always liked the Jazz, always rooted for Stockton and Malone against the Lakers in those years where Utah never quite could get over the hump. Reminded me of the Cavs against Jordan.

But ever since we got Bamboozered I can't root for them, even if them beating Denver makes our road to the title easier as I think Denver is the one team to fear in the west.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Mattack #485443 04/19/10 05:27 PM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Don't think you are going to have to worry about Booze winning anything this year. Okur is out with a bad Achilles. Bummer.

You can start feeling better about Utah next year, I doubt they resign Boozer. He was in a lot of trade rumors this year. My guess is he ends up somehow in Golden State. Nellie loves him.

I loved Utah rolling over L.A., seems like it was every year, back then. Didn't quite beat up Chicago enough to win, but those were fun series too.

John Barrymore
hooter #485444 04/19/10 05:33 PM
N
Legend
Legend
N
I had predicted a Utah series win, but without Okur and with AK-47 still hobbled, it sure doesn't seem likely.

still entertaining series, but it could have been that much better. oh well.

#gmstrong
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
I was really looking forward to recording the Utah/Denver games and watching them (at work when they're on tv) because it looked like it would be high quality basketball on paper. In reality though with all the injuries it isn't looking nearly as interesting anymore.

"All I know is, as long as I led the Southeastern Conference in scoring, my grades would be fine." - Charles Barkley
Mattack #485446 04/19/10 08:44 PM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Basically one of the developing guys, Fesenko or Koufos, has to suddenly get good (not likely at all), or somebody like Matthews or Korver has to have a career game in order to win tonight. Boozer and Millsap are going to be doing heavy minutes.

They will play hard, and won't quit. Sloan team.

John Barrymore
hooter #485447 04/20/10 01:52 AM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Good job by Fes. He really put in a great effort. He's usually a foul liability that would get eaten alive by a good big guy like Nene. Those couple dunks he got will hopefully get his confidence up for the rest of the series.

Williams was utterly relentless in the first half. Extremely aggressive. Wow.

Loved how Sloan unloaded the whole bench for a couple minutes. He got Jeffers in there, I doubt anybody here has ever heard of him. Signed off the D-league a couple months ago.

Korver clutch at the end.

I don't think Denver loses this game with Karl running the team. They had some bad lapses, CA fouling out trying to pressure the ball coming up the court was stupid, his charge before that was almost as bad.

What a game to watch. Unbelievable to see them pull it out after blowing that 14 point lead. Back to Utah. Sloan is the man.

John Barrymore
hooter #485448 04/20/10 08:58 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
awesome win for them.

what a mess that series is. utah has guys out, denver has their friggin coach out, unreal.

N
Legend
Legend
N
that was a ridiculous game. amazing effort and heart by Utah to keep themselves in the game and close it out down the stretch.

#gmstrong
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Just putting it in here since I don't see another WC thread....

Kobe better get a game off for that punch. Especially after Garnett is out one for that little nudge.

John Barrymore
hooter #485451 04/21/10 01:29 AM
M
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
M
Suspend Kobe in the playoffs? They wouldn't dare, it would ... off the advertisers way too much when less people tune in to a game he isn't in. They rescind a few of his technical fouls every year to avoid that very problem.

Mattack #485452 04/21/10 04:53 AM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Just to clarify:

I hate the idea of the Oklahoma Whatevers.

I loved hating the Sonics and talking trash to my Seattle friends.

OKC can kiss my ass and Kobe should punch each one of their players, and all the coaches, owners, and fans, in the face.

I'm just saying if you suspend KG for that trash your better get on Kobe, that was a punch.

John Barrymore
hooter #485453 04/24/10 03:03 AM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Sorry about my breif drunk rant. I do hate OKC.

Cautiously optomistic about Utah's chances after that beat down tonight.

Might be better to call it a lay-down. Denver was terrible inside on bolth sides of the ball. Another game I have to say would have been different if Karl was there running the show.

Deron Williams is putting on an offensive clinic, Millsap was unreal and Utah was really effective frustrating Anthony again. He was in foul trouble again, and picked up one offensive that I thought was pure frustration. He is not the same player without Karl to level him out.

Denver is in a lot of trouble. They can't win without the series going at least 6 and by then it's pretty likely Kirilenko returns. The respectable play by Fesenco is continuing to amaze me. He almost looks like he belongs on a basketball court.

John Barrymore
hooter #485454 04/26/10 01:15 AM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Dunno if anybody saw the post-game presser from Denver's coach Dentley, he looked completely at a loss. He knows he can't coach that team to 3 straight wins.

On the other bench, I know I'm biased, but Sloan has done a masterful job of keeping this team focused and getting production from unlikely players. Fes has really been a force which is completely unlike what his play was in the regular season. Got about a minute out of Koufos again tonight, he got a bucket.

We will see if Denver's players can find a way to lead themselves back on their home court, they are a talented group. Billups could do it if he could stay on the court, but he has been getting destroyed by Williams.

Hope Utah can keep the pressure on and close this one out in Denver.

John Barrymore
hooter #485455 04/26/10 02:08 AM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
My thoughts...

Love Jerry Sloan. The guy is just one hell of a coach.
I personally think Deron Williams is the best PG in the NBA.
Glad to hopefully see Denver go. I personally don't like the way we match up against them compared to LAL.

As for your drunk rant, I understand where you're coming from. But I have to say I can't stand Kobe's arrogant ass. I wish Artest would've punched HIM in the face last year. At least his ejection would've been worth it...

Politicians are puppets, y'all. Let's get Geppetto!

Formerly 4yikes2yoshi0
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Well I can't say I'd mind the possibility of eliminating either of those teams.

The more they beat each other up, the better. I'm loving it. Can't say I see a scenario where L.A. loses at home, however. Sooner or later they are going to have to realize they can just beat those guys up inside.

Artest might get pinned down and head shaved for jacking up all those 3s. He is going to get kicked out of a game soon, he's not going to be able to handle getting abused like that for much longer.

At the end of the day, besides Kobe, both G positions are a weakness, so those guys are going to need to run their offense through Gasol and Odom to take advantage of their strength.

John Barrymore
hooter #485457 04/29/10 01:37 AM
hooter Offline OP
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
Game 5 post game:

I gotta hand it to Chauncey. He is a proud man, and was tired of getting smoked. Even as a Utah fan, I have to applaud that effort. Good for him.

The Nugs have made history as Utah, I don't think, has ever lost a game going into a 3-1 scenario. They showed a lot of heart.

Of course, D-Will made history too, as the first player EVER to have 20 points and 10 assists in 5 consecutive playoff games. BTW he is KILLING that record.

I'm not going to beat down the Nugs. They are a very talented team. But there is no way at this point Utah fails to close them out at home.

John Barrymore
hooter #485458 04/29/10 08:44 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
i don't see it either.

i am surprised that atlanta took a dump on their own court...

milwaukee is good, and i think scott skiles is an underrated coach, but they're without their best player. the hawks have more talent, and no heart.

not that it matters, because either team is gonna get swept unless andrew bogut's hand magicially heals in a few days.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Utah/Denver

Link Copied to Clipboard