Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2072906 07/11/24 08:41 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Here is an article that I read this morning.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...imeline-defends-unbelievable-mlb-umpires

I have given this a lot of thought for a few years now.

I love the game of baseball. I respect the traditions of the game. I recognize the impact of what this would do. There have been many changes in MLB.

That includes the DH. The recent change of pitch clock. Replay and where it is now. Schedule changes of the regular season including inter-league play.

The wild card and playoff format.

When playoffs begin every pitch seems so critical. A bad strike zone call is frustrating. You know the impact of calls in any count can be crucial.

There have been many cases in the last ten years or so where I find myself hating an umpire. Thinking how can he miss that call?

At the same time I respect umpires and know they get plenty right as well.

I have not seen minor league games where it has been implemented. So I am limited in real time exposure. I would like to see it.

In the end replay was added for only one reason. Get the call right. A digital strike zone would take into account player size and the defined strike zone.

I am open to see this tried because I want to get it right.

L
Legend
Legend
L
. I like the human element and umpires being a part of the game, good or bad. Balls and strikes should be left to the ump, or it is a computer game.
I’m good with plays on the field being overturned when they weren’t the right calls, btw.

Last edited by lampdogg; 07/11/24 08:48 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2024: TBD
B
Legend
Legend
B
So who is going to call plays at the plate? Is an umpire going to get dressed in full gear to stand there like a dummy except for plays at the plate or possibly some foul ball calls up against the net?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I will have to watch where they have it in place.

From what I read everything will look the same. The umpires will make the calls.

They will have a communication device that relays the border areas.

I don't think the fans will see a difference.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
I will have to watch where they have it in place.

From what I read everything will look the same. The umpires will make the calls.

They will have a communication device that relays the border areas.

I don't think the fans will see a difference.

Maybe it would work. Just seems like that would slow the game down and take away the time they have cut off the time it takes to play a game.

To me it is just part of the game. For the most part I think the umps do a good job. No doubt a few have shown to be inconsistent. I say use the technology to grade the umps and use that to see what sort of percentage they have over a season.

You are a baseball guy. You know that there is a 2 strike approach to hitting. You choke up a bit, shorten the swing a bit and be ready to hack if it is a borderline pitch. I think hitters and pitcher spend too much time moaning about things and not enough to adjust to things.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am open to seeing how it works.

You cannot have delays. It has to be seamless.

It would be a drastic change that is why they are looking very closely.

Pitchers and hitters would have to adapt. The strike zone would have to be clearly defined.

I can see how fans and players would question this move. I have mixed feelings.

I remember this game so well. It is the worst umpired game I have ever seen by far.

During the regular season you figure calls will even out.

However, in post season every call is critical. You want it to be legit.

I think it will be tried out.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am sure it will be tried, and least looked at in full detail.

I don't even think they will be able define a strike. From a right hander in the box, is it a strike if the outside edge of the ball shaves the inside corner or is it only a strike if inside edge of the ball shave the corner? That is a big difference for both the hitter and the pitcher. With that you are looking at a 3 inch difference. Almost 6 inches if you count both side of the plate.

You could say the same for balls at the lower end of the strike zone.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
How a strike zone is called makes a huge difference. That is another reason I am open to change.

There is a definition of what the strike zone is supposed to be in the rule book. I dislike that umpires interpret their own zone.

The top and bottom of the zone are almost an individual decision.

That is why if and when they do this they will need to clearly define the zone.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I don't even think they will be able define a strike. From a right hander in the box, is it a strike if the outside edge of the ball shaves the inside corner or is it only a strike if inside edge of the ball shave the corner? That is a big difference for both the hitter and the pitcher. With that you are looking at a 3 inch difference. Almost 6 inches if you count both side of the plate.

Short answer is: Yes, it's a strike. Any part of the ball that goes over any part of the plate (provided the ball is between the lowest level of the strike zone and the highest level of the strike zone - is a strike.

Now, I'm not a baseball official, but I am for softball, and I believe the def. of a strike is the same for both sports.

Legend
Legend
I want to see it in game time and how it plays out in use. I am too simple, I guess. This decision has to be predicated upon a couple simple concerns. One, what is a strike? Second, what is a strike zone? And, having answered those questions, implementing some technology that reliably calls balls and strikes, doing so fairly, correctly, and consistently. Simplify, simplify. Don't "call 'em as you see 'em" at the plate. Just call them. All players and coaches should embrace the fact that whatever is implemented after decisions are made, seemingly, will be called for both teams, for better and for worse. Nothing is reliably perfect, but this promises much less subjectivity. We don't need to endlessly blur and correct and second guess if we can reduce it to its most basic denominator. Fiddle too much, offer too many exceptions and too much subjectivity, there is a distinct possibility that you end up[ with something as crystal clear as what constitute a catch in the NFL today or pass interference. There will be plenty of opportunities for missed calls, wrong calls, and the like. We can still eject participants and find reasons to clear benches, but the business of batting, drawing walks, and striking out should be reliable. I favor it, at least to give it a whirl.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
1988 - "The Strike Zone is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the top of the knees. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball."

1996 - The Strike Zone is expanded on the lower end, moving from the top of the knees to the bottom of the knees.

https://www.mlb.com/official-information/umpires/strike-zone

For the life of me I have no idea why any baseball fan would not want balls and strikes called on a more consistent and fair basis.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Baseball has always been slow to change.

Tradition of the game. The human element etc.

Except I go nuts watching bad calls. I hate when it is justified. "He has always had a wide strike zone."

You want the call to be right. The game is hard enough. Hitting is no easy task. If you go up to the plate and a guy is consistently wrong. I don't think hitters want to get thrown out because an ump is in the wrong.

If you have clean technology that does not disrupt the game. Use it. No different than a safe/out call.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Automated strike zone

Link Copied to Clipboard