Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
N
Cleveland Browns legend Bernie Kosar reveals he is suffering from liver failure and Parkinson's disease
The Cleveland sports icon confirmed to 3News that he is suffering from liver failure and Parkinson's disease.

Credit: AP
(AP Photo/David Dermer, File)
Author: Anna Meyer
Published: 9:21 AM EDT July 9, 2024
Updated: 9:21 AM EDT July 9, 2024
Facebook
CLEVELAND β€” Former Cleveland Browns QB Bernie Kosar has shared the news that he needs a liver transplant and has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

Kosar first shared the news in an article from Cleveland Magazine, but 3News has since spoken with Kosar who confirmed that he is dealing with liver failure and Parkinson's disease.

According to an article from Cleveland Magazine, Kosar was placed on the liver transplant list in late spring. In addition, he told Cleveland Magazine that he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in February.

One of Kosar's doctors told Cleveland Magazine that "there is more than a 90% chance that Kosar will need a new liver."

Cleveland Clinic describes Parkinson's disease as "an age-related degenerative brain condition, meaning it causes parts of your brain to deteriorate. It’s best known for causing slowed movements, tremors, balance problems and more. Most cases happen for unknown reasons, but some are inherited."

Since retiring in 1996, Kosar has had a long struggle with injuries stemming from his playing days, specifically head and brain injuries. Throughout his career, Kosar says he suffered 80 broken bones, 40 surgeries, numerous seizures and countless concussions.

Last year, Kosar launched KosarWellness.com to share the supplements that he takes on a daily basis.

The Ohio native led the Browns to three AFC championship game appearances. He was cut by Cleveland coach Bill Belichick in 1993 and went on to win a Super Bowl as a backup with Dallas. Kosar passed for 23,301 yards and threw 124 touchdown passes from 1985-96.

The now 60-year-old was a star at the University of Miami before the Browns drafted him first overall in the 1985 supplemental draft.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports.../95-2412c895-08d1-4c55-bac9-05d61258222c

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sad news to hear. I would never wish that on anyone much less someone who I admired for what he did for the Browns. Best of luck to you Bernie.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Very sorry to hear this news.

Bernie's life after football has been a hard road. Yet when he has appeared on the Ultimate Cleveland Show he always has been upbeat and positive.

He comes across as a caring guy.

So sad to hear this. I have great respect for Bernie as a Cleveland Brown. He gave all he had at all times.

Legend
Legend
Sad news indeed. I pray he finds some sort of miracle.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Bernie was my hero when I was a teenager. He certainly has had a rough time post football. I pray he can heal and get the help he needs.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
I have known a few former NFL players. The toll the game takes is a price many would not want to pay.

They made great money and that is good. However, their lives after playing for many are filled with chronic pain.

Many become disabled.

Bernie is a beloved player in Cleveland and rightfully so.

This news really saddens me.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Love Bernie, browns QB when I found them. Cool dude ever since. I remember watching pre-season games with him doing colour commentary and he routinely would predict the play coming up.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2024: TBD
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
As is the case with most of us, he is my favorite Browns quarterback of all time.

What hit home to me was the cirrhosis diagnosis. Whether you're an ex-athlete or not, the liver deal is a long and painful ordeal (most always terminal in one way or the other),

It's strange how this thing affects how you behave, your alertness and the appearance. When toxins don't get washed from the body, weird things happen

First hand, I can say how sick it makes you feel .

Heart is with him.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
wishing him all the best - praying for a miracle cure.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Bernie drank to much and doesn't seem to be a good subject for transplant....we are all born and die.....he needs to get ready.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
WOW rolleyes

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That was my first thought. Then, I tried to see a different way he could mean it. Then I just shook my head and despaired for humanity.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I hope Bernie can get healthy. But if he has
cirrhosis of the liver and it does stem from
excessive drinking then only he has himself
to Blame. It's simple you can either drink
or not drink alcohol. No one forced him
to booze it up

Legend
Legend
Every one of us has done things that are not good for us ...... overeating, having sex with the wrong person/people, not exercising, smoking .... and so on.

Should we just say, "Oh well, this person did this, that, and some other thing ..... so they deserve whatever they get"?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Bernie is only 60. He can get on a list for a liver transplant if he quits drinking. Lots of people have cirrhosis and get transplants, or don't even get transplants and live long lives as long as they follow diet restrictions.

Edit: I see the article says he was put on a transplant list. To qualify for a transplant list you can't be actively drinking. So, perhaps alcohol isn't the problem.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Question for some of you.

How much does Bernie Drink???
How much did Bernie drink. ???
Does Bernie have CTE ???
Does Bernie have Parkinson's disease???
What other health problems does Bernie have???

Y'all can't answer all those questions yet you act like you know the answers. rolleyes

1 member likes this: jfanent
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's pretty sad to read those replies you are talking about. I wonder if it was one of their family members who were in a terrible car accident while they were speeding and at fault...... would they simply not care if they died because after all, the accident was their fault? It's just sad to see people think that way. One would have thought even if they did think that way they certainly wouldn't want to put it on public display.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Question for some of you.

How much does Bernie Drink???
How much did Bernie drink. ???
Does Bernie have CTE ???
Does Bernie have Parkinson's disease???
What other health problems does Bernie have???

Y'all can't answer all those questions yet you act like you know the answers. rolleyes

It logical to think that. One poster looked like a dingle berry. I do know that Bernies speech is greatly improved. As he said on the show, he again enunciates his words rather chew on them.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
"Oh well, this person did this, that, and some other thing ..... so they deserve whatever they get"?

Absolutely not, however, the term "deserve" is being applied to the wrong side of the picture.

What he deserves has no bearing. The question that has to be asked, and will be I'm sure, is whether or not others on the list are more deserving of that transplant than he is after you take into account everyone's life choices.
Edit to add: Actually, it ABSOLUTELY needs to be questioned on whether or not he deserves a transplant. That question MUST be asked of every potential recipient; then after that, if he was in this boat of his own accord, you must seriously apply the question of whether or not others are more deserving.

That said, this is America and he is famous and wealthy, so he will get his transplant.
Lists have a funny way of getting rearranged for the wealthy & connected.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Fairly certain transplant lists are based on need, not deserve. Deserve isn't really a consideration. To be on a list you have to qualify and there are things that prevent you from being on the list such as continuing with addictions that hurt your liver. He qualified to be on the list. So all he really has to do is stay sober, take care of himself, and wait.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
Ok, first time I read through all of this, I thought we were talking about the Vermont politician Bernie πŸ˜†

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Bernie reveals he needs liver transplant and has Parkinsons

Link Copied to Clipboard