Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2072576 07/04/24 08:46 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Browns gave up a fifth and sixth round pick to get Jeudy.

It is not like giving up the family farm. However, they then gave him an extension of three years at $58m.

Still the importance is what can he do in the Browns new offense? We have not had a really good number two receiver. DPJ was ok but limited.

Moore is a guy who is more of a role receiver. He is best used in the slot because of his skills and size. He had a decent year for the Browns but he was not a real impact guy.

Jeudy is a former first rounder. He is only 25. He is 6'1" . 194lbs.

At the Combine, Jeudy posted a 4.45-second 40-yard dash time, a 35-inch vertical, and a 10' broad jump. Next Gen Stats ranked Jeudy fourth out of all wide receiver prospects with a score of 86.

The Browns were aggressive in trying to get Jeudy.

He has the ability to create space. He runs good routes. He is versatile in where he can play.

Cooper is the main man. But it sure helps the number one when the number two guy is a real threat.

Dorsey will run a more up tempo offense. More motion and pocket movement. More 3 and 4 WR sets.

If Jeudy works out and does what was planned when we traded for him. He will have production and open space for others.

Chad O'Shea is high on Jeudy's development.
https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-wr-coach-chad-oshea-praises-1-players-progress/

He has the tools. We will find out how well he fits into the offense.

Legend
Legend
on the surface, we have a lot of options at WR ... Cooper, Moore, Jeudy, Tillman, Bell ... but we really need someone beyond Cooper to step up and be consistent.

Jeudy has the tools, but has been inconsistent.

I thought Moore would be more for us, but he hasn't shown it

I don't have much hope for Tillman/Bell to be anything more than a #4

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
In my opinion, they will play Moore on the outside and Jeudy in the slot. Jeudy is bigger and gets better separation than Moore. They will move Moore around pre-snap motion.

What will make Jeudy shine is in the red zone. He is a 50-50 pass catcher and can outfight the defender to complete the pass. We will see better red zone play with Jeudy, Cooper, Njoku, and Tillman.

I am not sure why the negative or low grade on Bell. With Watson's style of play, Bell will play the "Julian Edelman" role. We saw it last year when Flacco played. Watch his first TD catch.

We will see many different combinations of receiver sets between Cooper, Moore, Jeudy, Tillman, and Bell. It will look like a line change in hockey!

Jeudy will take Cooper's role next season. Next year we see Jeudy, Moore, Tillman, Bell, and Thrash.

This receiver group will be good as a whole and nothing special individually.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Camp will decide about who gets starting time.

Tillman by all accounts has had a great off season. Improved in all areas and has worked very hard. He had lots of good press going into last season.

The second year jump is the year for the most growth by players. Tillman could have a great camp.

Bell has a lot to prove and will get pushed competitively to get snaps. He could get cut.

Thrash will be a guy to keep an eye on. He may be a factor as a returner initially but he could be a surprise overall.

I like his tape. He gets open and is hard to tackle in space. He is very shifty.

Moore is going to be challenged. Competition brings out the best. Moore will need to play well to earn reps. I expect him to take on the challenge.

Jeudy should have a spotlight on him. He was a targeted guy for a reason.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This is interesting https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleveland-browns-urged-pursue-intriguing-wide-receiver

Cleveland Browns Urged To Pursue Intriguing WR (John Metchie III ) If He's Released

Joe Thomas #73
L
Legend
Legend
L
Coop will be re-signed, I’m not worried about it.
Ced is a guy I’m rooting for.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2024: TBD
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by BADdog
This is interesting https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/news/cleveland-browns-urged-pursue-intriguing-wide-receiver

Cleveland Browns Urged To Pursue Intriguing WR (John Metchie III ) If He's Released

It's an interesting thought. No doubt we will be active seeking out bargain camp cuts. You can always find a player or two taking that route than can bolster the middle and lower part of your roster or help cover some positional holes in the roster.

Just thinking out loud, I'd rather see what Metchie has over what David Bell has. I am beginning to think that Berry has "keepmyguyitis". I can deal with mediocre or poor picks. That happens. I can't deal with sticking with those picks.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by BADdog

It's an interesting thought. No doubt we will be active seeking out bargain camp cuts. You can always find a player or two taking that route than can bolster the middle and lower part of your roster or help cover some positional holes in the roster.

Just thinking out loud, I'd rather see what Metchie has over what David Bell has. I am beginning to think that Berry has "keepmyguyitis". I can deal with mediocre or poor picks. That happens. I can't deal with sticking with those picks.

JOHN METCHIE III
Entry: 2022 Draft, Round 2, #44 overall (Texans)

John Metchie signed a 4-year rookie contract with the Houston Texans on May 16, 2022, worth $8,070,176 with $5,626,046 fully guaranteed including a $3,049,220 signing bonus.

REMAINING CONTRACT
2024 - Age 24 - BASE SALARY $1,438,652 - PRORATED BONUS $762,305 (Texans Responsibility) - GUARANTEED SALARY $800,000 - CAP NUMBER to BROWNS w/Trade $1,438,652
2025 - Age 25 - BASE SALARY $1,805,478 - PRORATED BONUS $762,305 (Texans Responsibility) - GUARANTEED SALARY $0 - CAP NUMBER to BROWNS w/Trade $1,805,478

Total Cap Cost to the Browns for a trade for Metchie: 2-year remaining contract worth $3,244,130 with $800,000 fully guaranteed in 2024. Of course, the Browns could offer an extension after the trade thus changing the cost.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
B
Legend
Legend
B
That is a good FYI report.

If this is a way to leverage this in to a cost comparison with Bell, I am not going to get in to specifics, but Metchie will cost more since he was a 2nd round pick and Bell was a 3rd. I don't know the difference, but in the scheme of things it isn't enough to worry about.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
That is a good FYI report.

If this is a way to leverage this in to a cost comparison with Bell, I am not going to get in to specifics, but Metchie will cost more since he was a 2nd round pick and Bell was a 3rd. I don't know the difference, but in the scheme of things it isn't enough to worry about.

Actually the cap hit on Bell to the Browns is just slightly lower than Metchie's.

BELL
2024 - $1,375,833
2025 - $1,605,197
Total = $2,981,030

METCHIE III
2024 - $1,438,652
2025 - $1,805,478
Total = $3,244,130

DIFFERENCE: $263,100 more for Methcie III in money.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hopefully, Jeudy busts through the 1,000-yard ceiling this year without anyone else on the team getting injured or traded.

my biggest problem with Jeudy is that he is more of a body catcher and it is going to drive everyone nuts when he drops passes that bounce off his pads.

***He kind of reminds me of Northcutt***

I do like that he avoids the big hits and will go down before making contact.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Njoku is a real threat as a receiver. He will play a big role.

We have enough pass catchers to spread the ball around. Cooper, Jeudy, Moore, Tillman, and Njoku.

The offense has to play as a unit with all parts contributing.

If Nick plays before the sixth game we have our core impact guys in Nick, Cooper, Njoku and Jeudy.

The Dorsey offense is about use of the whole field. Dictate to the defense to play you straight up because you are not dependent upon single guys making all the plays.

Open up the entire field.

We should be able with motion to uncover areas to make plays.

I am really curious about the offensive play concepts that Dorsey is bringing.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I wish we had at least (1) WR that the defense has to account-for on every snap. We have some good talent and a very-good WR in Cooper, but none of these guys are "special".

Our TE room is woefully stocked outside of the starter.

There isn't much beyond "serviceable" behind Chubb.

Watson is a question mark...until he is not.

I'm not yet ready to drink the Kool Aide on how good this offense can be.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I wish we had at least (1) WR that the defense has to account-for on every snap. We have some good talent and a very-good WR in Cooper, but none of these guys are "special".

I think we do in Amari Cooper. He may not be the fastest WR in the game, but he is has some of the best hands and is an elite route runner. I bet DCs every game are game-planning with him in mind. He was 10th in total receiving yards, 11th in receptions over 20+ yards and 2nd in receptions over 40+ yards. He is a threat. How long that lasts due to age and regression....we'll see.

Our TE room is woefully stocked outside of the starter.
Most teams do not have this great amount of depth at TE. Or, they each have a specific skill set needed....for example more of a blocking TE than a receiving TE. I bet if you looked at most teams, you would see that there aren't many teams focusing on TE "depth". Luckily, we have an elite TE on our team. He is no world beater, but I think Jordan Akins is a far better 2nd TE than people give credit for. In six years, he almost has 1900 yards receiving w/ 8 TDs. I'll take that for a backup on a cheap contract and doing so allowed us to easily let Harrison Bryant walk.

There isn't much beyond "serviceable" behind Chubb.

Ford ran for over 800 yards and had over 300 yards receiving w/ a total of 9 TDs. That's MORE than serviceable, IMO.

At DT, context and meaning are a scarecrow kicking at moving goalposts.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Camp will open and for the first time that I can remember there are no starter spots open, and no position battles.

I guess RT may be a position that there could be a battle between two starters.

Cooper is a number one WR by any measuring stick.

Second string is not first string. No teams have a second string as good as the first string. Great depth is financially unfeasible.

Jeudy has something to prove. AB wanted Jeudy and went after him. If you look at his athletic profile and draft report. He has the tools. Denver was not a good place to showcase his talent given the QB and coaching situation.

Make no mistake the Browns roster is as good as any in the NFL.

The elephant in the room is DW. I don't think any fan questions that DW needs to play at a high level.

He has to play to prove it.

If Nick is Nick. The starting offense should be very good.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns definitely need to figure out their tackles.

Wills and Conklin are both major question marks.

I also have concerns about our LB's

We have a whole new LB core minus JOK and Fields and we need to find a 3rd SLB. I don't think Bush is the answer and is probably a media-room cancer.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
The Browns definitely need to figure out their tackles.

Wills and Conklin are both major question marks.

I also have concerns about our LB's

We have a whole new LB core minus JOK and Fields and we need to find a 3rd SLB. I don't think Bush is the answer and is probably a media-room cancer.

My hope is Nat Watson has some answers at backer. The guy is a tackling machine. He led the SEC in tackles. That has to mean something. I could see him working in to a pivotal part of the D.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree. I imagine/hope there's a lot of stress and sweating going on behind the scenes regarding the OT situation.

Wills is 'meh' and Conklin is done. Dude's body just can't take it anymore. Jones is promising, but we still have a question at LT.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

*Cough* *Cough* Jordan Hicks *cough* *cough*

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah he has a solid history of production.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2024: TBD
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Bell was a wasted pick.....he lack separation capability....or a team forgets him due to limited skills....Tillman every time over Bell.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GMdawg

*Cough* *Cough* Jordan Hicks *cough* *cough*

Hicks should be our MLB

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Importance of Jeudy

Link Copied to Clipboard