Print Thread
#2071943 06/28/24 04:09 PM
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I'm not big on pimping movies. The last time I did so on here was last year when Oppenheimer was due to come out. After seeing it I was totally impressed and was glad I went to see it. The other major film I went to see last year was Killers of the Flower Moon. Once again a very fine movie according to my standards. But everyone has different tastes in movies.

This saga of the American west will certainly not be a genre that fits into everyone's viewing preference. But as for myself, a well done, quality western is still a thing of beauty. One that actually has a sense of historical context which I find most important to the story. From everything I have been seeing about this movie that's certainly the case here. I look for it to be a film that has the quality and story line which will make it compelling to watch and if Dances With Wolves is any indication, it certainly will be.

There will be a total of four parts to the sage. Part 1 actually premiers in theaters today. Part 2 will premiere on August 16th and part three is currently in production. My wife and I will be going to a Monday afternoon matinee of the film....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am always good with Cowboys movies. I grew up with Roy and Dale, Geney Autry, etc

As for Oppenheimer, I watched on Prime maybe last week. I found it to be a little slow. It was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but it fell short of the reviews IMO. I am glad I watched it on free streaming service...well ok, I pay for the stream.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Saw it yesterday with my grandson.

I read the reviews that were mixed.

I liked it. This story will be told over 12 hours. So, that context is important. Characters are introduced and their stories are told over four movies.

Dusters have to have cool scenes. Costner knows that. "Open Range" was damn good. The movie checks that box. As a viewer you have to invest in the characters for it to be good. I think it does that.

I get Costners's love for telling the "Western Story." The spread of the European's from east to west.

We were the immigrants crossing indigenous borders.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Hopefully it’s good since he gave up Yellowstone for it. Yellowstone is a bit overrated but was really hitting its stride in terms of following. They could have gotten another 3,4 seasons out of it.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Costner is 69 years old. I think one would say he's financially secure. I believe he has reached the point in his life he feels the need to hit his bucket list. In an interview he said he has been working on this story since he was in Dances With Wolves but he couldn't get a studio to commit to the four part saga concept. So now he decided to pay for the production of it himself. I think it's something he feels he needs to fulfill in his lifetime. And at some point that becomes a priority in your life. Once you have the option to live your dreams before you leave this earth I think people should.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I agree with you as far as Oppenheimer being a little slow here and there. But for me it was a trade off that was well worth it. When you make something that is historically accurate and want to include all of the important details, some of those important details are not exciting. Without those details much of the story gets left out. At that point the choice becomes to short cut many important details for entertainment purposes or to include them to tell the entire story. I wanted those details which made the movie slow according to a strictly entertainment standpoint because I felt the story was important enough to tell it all.

I do understand that not everyone shares that view and that's why everyone doesn't share the same opinion of any given movie.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The story of Horizon is different than Dances with Wolves but the way it was told is similar.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I knew it was a different story but was certainly hoping it would be told in a similar fashion. I'm going to see it Monday and it sounds like from your description it will be what I had hoped for.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I am looking forward to the second movie in August.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
That speaks volumes to me about how much you liked the first movie in the saga. I'm glad you liked it. It seems like when it comes to both movies and music our tastes run similar in a lot of ways.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I am an avid reader.

Good books are usually reduced to cliff notes when made into movies.

I am glad that with streaming and the acceptance of mini series full stories can be told.

I watched Shogun. Never read the book or watched anything previous.

I was blown away with how good it was. I had no idea who the actors were. They were fantastic. The story was deep and fascinating. The costumes and cinematography were outstanding.

Most of what is made into movies like super heroes and zombies. I have no interest in at all.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think the world of movies is similar to the world of music in one respect. There are many great musicians we have never heard of. Just because they never became famous doesn't mean they aren't great at their art. I think the same holds true for actors.

And once again we agree on Super hero movies and zombie movies. I do have a couple of exceptions. My wife and I both like Deadpool because it's actually more of a spoof of super hero movies than a superhero movie series per say. We also liked Iron Man because we're huge Robert Downey Junior fans. Once I saw him play Chaplin I was hooked.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Horizon: An American Saga

Link Copied to Clipboard