Next Thread
Print Thread
#2070281 06/09/24 11:46 AM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
On Thursday, My main was was shut off so that work could be done around my dryer. Plumber came out on Friday, turned the gas on. My stove works fine, but I went to go light the pilot for my water heater and there is no gas. I pushed down the button to feed it gas but nothing, no smell, no sound. I checked all the valves and they’re all open. Anyone have a clue before I spend over 300 on a service call?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Muni the only thing I can think of is maybe one of the valves stuck and didn't open. Try going through the whole process again. Turn them off and then on again.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
One possibility is that the water heater has a separate gas shut off valve that needs to be opened.

If that is not the case, you might try shutting down the gas according to the instructions pertaining to the lighting the pilot...in short, go through the pilot lighting instructions again.

Last edited by mac; 06/09/24 12:08 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
You could call George Floyd to fix it but I heard he hasn't worked on a water heater for four years.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I contacted a repair guy. He asked me a few questions and it boiled down to this… It was installed in 2001 (previous homeowners wrote the date right on the side 😆) . He’s like, I can fix it for 500-800 bucks but given its age, you’re better off replacing it. Good thing is, a couple years ago my insurance agent added something to my homeowners policy that covers major appliances. I’ll give them a call tomorrow. For my 500 deductible, it’s a good selling point when we put our house up in a couple years.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

1 member likes this: mac
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
So the guy gets here, has a nice little side piece with him - I’m gonna hire her to paint. Anyway, they get here, install the new water heater. Without checking, I shake his hand and shake her hand (with both my hands) and thank them. It took about an hour. I go downstairs, and the bleeping guy didn’t haul away my old tank! I go to move it myself and it’s still filled with water! I try draining it and nothing shoots out- too much sediment on the bottom. So I stuck a wire hanger up the spigot and it proceeded to slow drip. 2 days later and it’s empty. I just hauled it up the stairs - no help from my wife or daughter- and now it’s outside. I know a guy who scraps metal, so I’ll give him a call.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It sounds like you need a new wife and daughter. naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
They’d jump at that opportunity! 😆

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
It never ends. Always something. In one bathroom between the toilet and tub. The paint on the wall bubbled. The wall feels soft.

Moisture somehow. Shower valve is behind tile. It has to be leaking and the water finding that wall by working past the cement board that holds the tile.

Going to a problem and expensive.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The longer it continues the more the damage and the more expensive it will be. Water damage is no joke.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I called a plumber.

The plumbing pipes are all copper and are 40 years old. Life expectancy for copper is like 50 years. I have had a number of pin leaks. Replacing the pipe is bad enough fixing sheetrock with sanding and painting etc. is a royal pain.

I have been a home owner for many years. I used to do all the repairs. I have given that up.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Water Heater Question

Link Copied to Clipboard