Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Cleveland National Air Show canceled in 2020 to ‘help prevent the spread of COVID-19’

By Chris Anderson | June 12, 2020 at 10:38 AM EDT - Updated June 12 at 10:49 AM

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - The Cleveland National Air Show has been canceled for 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The announcement to cancel the Labor Day weekend event was made on Friday morning in order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to comply with the state ban on large gatherings.

“After considering the health and safety of the thousands of people involved in the Air Show as well as the large crowds that gather outside the gates on beaches, buildings, parks, etc., the Executive Committee of the Cleveland National Air Show, Inc. Board of Trustees made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s Air Show. Though regrettable, this action was necessary to protect the spectators, exhibitors, volunteers, vendors, performers, concessionaires, sponsors and employees.”
Air Show Executive Director Kim Dell
The annual air show, dating back to 1964 in Cleveland, attracts up to 100,000 visitors to Burke Lakefront Airport, making it one of the area’s largest events.

The 2021 Cleveland National Air Show featuring the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds is still expected to take place as scheduled.

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/06/12/c...-spread-covid-/

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Dangit

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Dangit

Every year I think to myself, "This Year"!!!

Then after each show I think to myself "Gotta Make At Least One In My Life"! willynilly

Then I mumble something like,, "Well, there's always next year". thumbsup

V
Legend
Legend
V
I remember driving my wife up to Cleveland years ago for two job interviews. She was interviewing w/Cleveland Clinic and University Hospital. It was a gorgeous day and I was just hanging outside of one of the hospitals when all of a sudden, I heard the roar. The Thunderbirds were prepping for their upcoming air show. I swear to God that their practice routine was even crazier and more impressive than their actual "show." I was freaking amazed at how awesome of a spectacle it was. I'll never forget that. Absolutely magnificent.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I used to work for a company located on East 40th just south of the Shoreway on the lake. In early September, we always had either the Blue Angels or The Thunderbirds practicing for a few days before the Air Show on Labor Day weekend. I think they used the water tower on our building as a landmark for their maneuvers, because that place used to shake when they buzzed the tower and the noise was deafening. I used to have lunch in my truck in the parking lot and I remember one time when I wasn't ready for it and they roared over head - I just about soiled myself and nearly hit my head on the roof of my pickup because I jumped so high in my seat. Another time, I was up on our 4th floor looking out at the lake and I saw a B52 come in for a landing at the show. That thing had to be a city block long - it was YUGE.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I used to go to this all the time as a kid. Even if they dont have it this year, its nice to hear they still have this tradition.

No Craps Given
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, they are planning for 2021.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Now that you mention it..........I can't remember if I was watching the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels that day when they were practicing. Either way, that stuff was spectacular. It's amazing how close they fly together or in opposite directions. I have a real admiration for people who are so skilled.

D
Legend
Legend
D
They are amazing. Gotta have balls of steel - the smallest error could be fatal, but they were flawless.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
They are amazing. Gotta have balls of steel - the smallest error could be fatal, but they were flawless.

My division officer in the Navy was a RIO in a F-14 that crashed practicing for an air show. The pilot came out of a loop too low and hit the top of a tree.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Dangit

Every year I think to myself, "This Year"!!!

Then after each show I think to myself "Gotta Make At Least One In My Life"! willynilly

Then I mumble something like,, "Well, there's always next year". thumbsup

I was pretty much the same way until last year, when we hit the Toledo air show. I don't think I'll miss another one, seeing those fighter jets and other aircraft up close and personal doing low level passes was awesome. I have some pics from it in the photography thread. Squires also posted some awesome airshow pics.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c

9-11 happened. In November, we flew to Denver for Thanksgiving. Out of Toledo.

As we were waiting, I noticed the 180th fighter wing "practicing" landings. 2 planes would come down, the first one would touch the rear wheels on the tarmac, while the second one was behind, still in the air.

I asked someone what they were doing. I was told "they're practicing for landing in hostile areas. The second jet is providing cover for the first. The first is only touching rear wheels down in case they need to take off again."

It was quite interesting to watch.

Legend
Legend
I wish i could have seen that ... wow

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Not an easy decision, but I feel it is the right one.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Cleveland National Air Show canceled in 2020 to ‘help prevent the spread of COVID-19’

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WOIO) - The Cleveland National Air Show has been canceled for 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The announcement to cancel the Labor Day weekend event was made on Friday morning in order to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to comply with the state ban on large gatherings.

“After considering the health and safety of the thousands of people involved in the Air Show as well as the large crowds that gather outside the gates on beaches, buildings, parks, etc., the Executive Committee of the Cleveland National Air Show, Inc. Board of Trustees made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s Air Show. Though regrettable, this action was necessary to protect the spectators, exhibitors, volunteers, vendors, performers, concessionaires, sponsors and employees.”
The annual air show, dating back to 1964 in Cleveland, attracts up to 100,000 visitors to Burke Lakefront Airport, making it one of the area’s largest events.

The 2021 Cleveland National Air Show featuring the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds is still expected to take place as scheduled.

Sorry to hear that, it really is one of the best in the country. I always liked when they were doing some maneuver either east to west or west to east out over the lakeshore, and they sneaked a Tomcat or Hornet to come in out of the South about 700 feet above the crowd. By the time you heard it, the jet was past you.

If they were dropping napalm bottles, they would have released maybe a mile before if aiming for you. You would look up, watch the jet scream by, count to 3, poof, you are charcoal.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
So far so good jfan... thumbsup

https://toledoairshow.com/

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
It's a bummer, but not surprised. Once Osh Kosh was canceled, it was only a matter of time before most of the other ones were canceled too.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Sorry to hear that, it really is one of the best in the country. I always liked when they were doing some maneuver either east to west or west to east out over the lakeshore, and they sneaked a Tomcat or Hornet to come in out of the South about 700 feet above the crowd. By the time you heard it, the jet was past you.

If they were dropping napalm bottles, they would have released maybe a mile before if aiming for you. You would look up, watch the jet scream by, count to 3, poof, you are charcoal.

Smells like.....victory!

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cleveland 2020 Air Show Cancelled

Link Copied to Clipboard