Next Thread
Print Thread
#1168142 10/06/16 12:32 PM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
The main reason it was called the Roaring Twenties (the 1920s) was because it was an incredible decade to be alive.

Strong economic growth was widespread. Cultural advancement was full steam ahead. Average life expectancy increased unbelievably. It was a period of world-wide good feelings and peace (relatively).

Technological advancement was incredible.

This era saw the large-scale use of automobiles, telephones, motion pictures, radio, and electricity; commercial, passenger, and freight aviation; as well as unprecedented industrial growth and accelerated consumer demand.

There wasn’t the possibility of widespread man-made death and destruction at the push of a few buttons.

I think the 1920s could turn out to be the peak of mankind. I mean of all-time.

But let’s hope not.

Legend
Legend
The beginning stages of the Great Depression was the peak of mankind?

Ok.

Last edited by Swish; 10/06/16 12:34 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
If we hadn't buried much of Nikola Tesla's work the 20's could have really propelled us into the future.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Make America Great Again!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
If we hadn't buried much of Nikola Tesla's work the 20's could have really propelled us into the future.

Truer words were never spoken.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The 20s were great until the end, but I think the greatest period for the United States was the mid to late 50s.

We were the baddest nation in the world and we celebrated by flaunting excessiveness, in everything from our cars to our housing to the foods we ate.

Legend
Legend
Yes Vers, there were plenty of times in the past when America was Great and we have an opportunity to enjoy that once again in our very near future as America is made Great again.

thumbsup

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL............you did that on purpose, didn't you?

Legend
Legend
Moi?

V
Legend
Legend
V
grin

You annoy me at times, but you are pretty funny.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
grin

I just read that to the wife and she said "I feel his pain".
rofl

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg

I think that perhaps you've forgotten the post-WW2 boom that was the late 40's & the 50's.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
grin

I just read that to the wife and she said "I feel his pain".
rofl

She's got company- lots of it.

wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
The main reason it was called the Roaring Twenties (the 1920s) was because it was an incredible decade to be alive.

Strong economic growth was widespread. Cultural advancement was full steam ahead. Average life expectancy increased unbelievably. It was a period of world-wide good feelings and peace (relatively).

Technological advancement was incredible.

This era saw the large-scale use of automobiles, telephones, motion pictures, radio, and electricity; commercial, passenger, and freight aviation; as well as unprecedented industrial growth and accelerated consumer demand.

There wasn’t the possibility of widespread man-made death and destruction at the push of a few buttons.

But let’s hope not.

It was good times in America, but I wouldn't say worldwide. Many areas of the world were still reeling from WW1, and this era was the beginning of the developments that lead to the holocaust.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Do you know when the peek of mankind is? It's 10-7-2016, and tomorrow it will be 10-8-2016.

Every day we are live is the peek of our existence. We are not only blessed with living and breathing another day, but we are blessed with so many things that people from the 20's, 30's, 50's, 70's, 90's etc, etc, could only dream of.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Tiny Tim?
Is that a crack about Trumps hands? flamingmad

Legend
Legend
Nope just about what his wife calls his little buddy ooo

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by swoosh:

"The beginning stages of the Great Depression was the peak of mankind?

Ok."

Oh boy, Swoosh. That's fine. You're not a history major. A little history lesson:

The Great Depression was triggered by the Stock Market crash of 1929. (Late October of 1929)

So not counting those last two months of the decade (which were indeed a terrible time - many, many people (and countries) were devastated) the 20s were a great time.

You know what's weird about this great time in history?

In the US and most of the world, alcohol was an illegal drug from 1920 - 1933. Carrying severe penalties. (The 18th Amendment to the US Constitution.)

That's right. All alcohol even beer, was illegal. For 13 years.

And don't be fooled by what you see in movies and TV (that everybody was still drinking). The average Joe could not and did not have so much as beer.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Quote above by PPE:

“...perhaps you've forgotten the post-WW2 boom that was the late 40's & the 50's.”

There’s certainly an argument for this era.

There was a lot of “Baby boomer making” going on. (if you know what I mean)

It was a great time in human history except for one thing.

Anyone my age or older should remember that before President Reagan (upto the late 70s) any knowledgeable adult considered World War III with the Soviet Union a certain inevitability.

Let me say that again.

Every clear thinking, knowledge adult in the United States in say..1976... considered a Nuclear war with the Soviet Union a certainty.

It was going to happen.

Two things:

1) If you’re younger than 50 and don’t believe it.

I don’t blame you. It seems far-fetched. But you’re wrong.

2) If you’re older than 55 and don’t remember that. You’ve forgotten.

What changed this was when Reagan perpetrated one of the greatest Bluffs in human history.

The “Star Wars Defense”. (about 1980)

The United States Economy was going forward with an effective missile defense system capable of intercepting incoming nuclear missiles.

The Soviets did not have the economy for this type of military research and development.

This meant the US could win a nuclear war.

Previous to this the only prevention of war was the Mutually Assured Destruction philosophy. We can kill you and you can kill us.

They seemingly had lost. (In chess lingo, they resigned. Chess is big in Russia)

Gorbachev was the president and he convinced the Soviet hierarchy to try and modernize the economy and society. (give-up communism).

And that's what they did. They even started having elections for premier/president (Putin has done away with real elections)

It really hasn’t worked. The Russian economy still sucks.

And I think that Putin wants to restore “Russian Glory”. Remember he is a dictator and the Russian ruler for life. I worry that when his end is near, he wants to take the world with him.

He may not he thinking clearly while he still has the power.

I’d love to hear cogent counter-arguments to the above commentary.( I promise to be respectful and open-minded)

I am also not a history major. Just a potzer.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R

SPOCK: In chess, when one is outmatched, the game is over. Checkmate.
KIRK: Is that your best recommendation?
SPOCK: I regret that I can find no other logical alternative.
KIRK: “Not chess, Mister Spock, poker. Do you know the game?”

From the original Star Trek Episode The Corbomite Maneuver (when the Enterprise is facing certain destruction at the hands of a superior force/alien). Kirk gets out of it by bluffing (we have a Corbomite device aboard, kill us and it kills everything)

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oddly enough, I never worried about a nuclear war. As I was living in the Norfolk, VA area (Norfolk Naval Base is the largest in the world), there would have been a flash of light, and that's it. This area was #3 on the Soviet hit list, and they would have showered us with warheads. I even protested the nuke drills in my school, and they came to an end. Personally, I didn't want to be kissing my own butt when the missiles hit.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
quote above by swoosh:

Who is swoosh? Or, are you just name-calling again?

Legend
Legend
Again, you're not helping your argument.

You're also not doing yourself any favors assuming I get my history from movies.

The prohibition was a huge eye sore on American society.

Also, did you forget about Jim Crow?

Oh wait, judging by your past comments in threads, you probably support it. From your comments about Haiti to your comments about black racism being a sham.

So when people go "such and such time was a great period", the question is this: for who?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Are you really saying the peak of mankind is when people could barely go faster than 50 mph on the ground?

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
The problem is that many of you equate progress and success with materialism.

Starting in the 1950's was the doom of our nation. America become slaves to materialism and debt. We gave up God for drugs and dignity to be animals living only for animal instincts. We gave up our ideals of working hard for our wage to become city office workers who think you're an idiots if you have a job that makes you work hard.

America gave up it's soul to live beyond it's means because they would rather let debt destroy them so they could have everything NOW and to hell with the future.

I just don't see a bright future anymore with the crap we elect to lead us.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
The problem is that many of you equate progress and success with materialism.

Starting in the 1950's was the doom of our nation. America become slaves to materialism and debt. We gave up God for drugs and dignity to be animals living only for animal instincts. We gave up our ideals of working hard for our wage to become city office workers who think you're an idiots if you have a job that makes you work hard.

America gave up it's soul to live beyond it's means because they would rather let debt destroy them so they could have everything NOW and to hell with the future.

I just don't see a bright future anymore with the crap we elect to lead us.

Thank-you for brightening up this gloomy day.

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... My Roaring Twenties Theory

Link Copied to Clipboard