Page 2 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
https://x.com/DanielOyefusi/status/1835643898430984247

Ward just 11 snaps

Way more jumbo packages (which I like)

Way more Foreman (which I also like)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
If I posted my thoughts directly after the game, I'd would have led with the Browns didn't deserve to win that game. But honestly, neither team did. I think Trevor Lawrence might be the most overrated young QB in the league and, overall, I don't think JAX is all that good even with all of those WRs they have and Etienne.....just kinda "mid" as the kids say these days. For the Browns, the talent is there, but we hurt ourselves and can stall an offensive drive after the first play with a penalty.

- I think Watson played much better, but still needs to be more consistent. He still looks a bit tentative at times. I liked his performance in the first half but the offense couldn't get anything really going in the second half. Penalties played a big part, obviously.

- I like that we found our Jacoby Brissett 4 and 1/inches replacement QB in Jameis Winston. He clearly can push the line to get that yard, but can also switch it up and make a play the defense might not see coming.....like we did yesterday. I'd expect Stefanski to throw those winkles in all season long.

- The interior of the line is beginning to concern me. They are old at the guard position and got called for way too many penalties. They started off strong keeping a clean pocket but it felt like they deteriorated as the game wore on. Not a good sign.

- Listening to the post-game analysis, someone said that it looked like "Stefanski took his offense back.".....meaning he took it back from Dorsey in the way the offense was schemed. Not sure if this was true but maybe others might be able to chime in on what they say week 1 vs week 2.

- These WR drops are also alarming. Way too many the past two weeks and stalled drives and/or the ability to get at least three points. Something is up with Cooper.....not sure what. I hope he can bounce back.

- And the penalties have been devastating on the offensive end. No need to say anymore than that and it needs correcting.

- Good to see the defense bounce back.

At DT, context and meaning are a scarecrow kicking at moving goalposts.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
good point about 4th and short ... that's probably why we won the game. We were 3/3 in those situations and it really gave us an advantage

The Jags are one of those team that has talent but can't seem to put it together. I don't think they're bad, but they also aren't a threat to the AFC

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by RememberMuni
That Hopkins penalty was something that you’d never see from a Belichik or Kyle Shanahan coached team. Huge play negated by an under coached player. However, Hopkins and the rest of the special teams still get an A in my book. He’s such a great kicker.

I think it's more no official would throw that flag on a Belichick coached team. It had no impact on the play. What's even the purpose of the rule? It's a random flag they can throw late if it looks like one team might start to pull away.

Winston Reid has had some lousy officiating luck. Ejected in the preseason on a questionable targeting call, now gets his forced fumble taken away by that.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
The fourth down conversions were all converted. Why?

Who brought in Winston? Who converted; then the Winston fake to set up the long run by Ford.

How did the sending in the punter instead of attempting the field work out?

There is no who shoulda won. KS won because he won the vote. Because the team won eleven games with a train wreck of injuries and used four different quarterbacks.

No head coach in football has ever accomplished that.

"You blame tackle and run game. Who is in charge of that? Just curious, same with the drops. "

No need to discuss further. Obviously. So when a receiver drops a sure touchdown pass it is the fault of the head coach. Ok

Injuries are his fault as well? Njoku not playing is KS fault? Ford playing instead of Chubb that is KS fault that one guy is great and the other not so great at all.

It is one thing to criticize when there is fault. Another when you manufacture reasons to criticize.

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Bull_Dawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I just realized that Pierre Strong left the game and will be out a while. We'll need to find another backup RB for the time being

M
Legend
Legend
M
The Browns need these next three games against the Giants, Raiders, and Commanders (2 of 3 are away games) because the three after that will be much tougher with the Eagles, Bengals, and Ravens (2 of 3 are at home).

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yeah, the games at LV and WAS scare me because they are games against teams that we are better than ... but on the road and not easy. But they're games we have to win

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by bonefish
The fourth down conversions were all converted. Why?

Who brought in Winston? Who converted; then the Winston fake to set up the long run by Ford.

How did the sending in the punter instead of attempting the field work out?

There is no who shoulda won. KS won because he won the vote. Because the team won eleven games with a train wreck of injuries and used four different quarterbacks.

No head coach in football has ever accomplished that.

"You blame tackle and run game. Who is in charge of that? Just curious, same with the drops. "

No need to discuss further. Obviously. So when a receiver drops a sure touchdown pass it is the fault of the head coach. Ok

Injuries are his fault as well? Njoku not playing is KS fault? Ford playing instead of Chubb that is KS fault that one guy is great and the other not so great at all.

It is one thing to criticize when there is fault. Another when you manufacture reasons to criticize.

lol, you really are a KS fanboy.. he didn't deserve to win.. and yes..injuries are his fault as well, the ones we are having are a result of his sissy training camp.. as are all the penalties.. you are boasting because we converted a few 4 and inches? How many times has that bit us in the ass under him and cost us points...at least 10-15 during his tenure. Yeah he used 4 QB's big deal..and you remember how bad 2 of them looked? if it wasn't for the defense its a whole different outcome, and Flacco coming in, forcing Stefanski to dial back his playbook and let flacco run a basic offense is what led to that run. But make no mistake, Flacco was the dude making it happen. Your pathetic retort of being curious about the drops.. answer me this, Who's in charge of the offense in Training camp? KS has made it abundantly clear its his offense, his playcalling, his scheme. So yeah sorry, your silly boomer argument didn't sway my opinion at all. KS to me is the same guy as year 1 KS, he's shown no growth. He's good at scripting the first 10-15 plays but loses the thread during the game, the team still has no identity, his clock management is still abysmal, players do not get better under him, we still have TONS of mental errors that are a result of a team not being prepared. Is he the worst in the league? No, I'd say hes' in the middle of the road, maybe a little better than average, but he's still not taken us anywhere. We need him to be better so we can go further.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
in terms of KS scripting plays .. I'd like to see the halftime process. Do we script plays again for the 2nd half? Or are they already scripted?

It just seems like our 3Q efficiency isn't as strong

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
If I posted my thoughts directly after the game, I'd would have led with the Browns didn't deserve to win that game. But honestly, neither team did. I think Trevor Lawrence might be the most overrated young QB in the league and, overall, I don't think JAX is all that good even with all of those WRs they have and Etienne.....just kinda "mid" as the kids say these days. For the Browns, the talent is there, but we hurt ourselves and can stall an offensive drive after the first play with a penalty.

- I think Watson played much better, but still needs to be more consistent. He still looks a bit tentative at times. I liked his performance in the first half but the offense couldn't get anything really going in the second half. Penalties played a big part, obviously.

- I like that we found our Jacoby Brissett 4 and 1/inches replacement QB in Jameis Winston. He clearly can push the line to get that yard, but can also switch it up and make a play the defense might not see coming.....like we did yesterday. I'd expect Stefanski to throw those winkles in all season long.

- The interior of the line is beginning to concern me. They are old at the guard position and got called for way too many penalties. They started off strong keeping a clean pocket but it felt like they deteriorated as the game wore on. Not a good sign.

- Listening to the post-game analysis, someone said that it looked like "Stefanski took his offense back.".....meaning he took it back from Dorsey in the way the offense was schemed. Not sure if this was true but maybe others might be able to chime in on what they say week 1 vs week 2.

- These WR drops are also alarming. Way too many the past two weeks and stalled drives and/or the ability to get at least three points. Something is up with Cooper.....not sure what. I hope he can bounce back.

- And the penalties have been devastating on the offensive end. No need to say anymore than that and it needs correcting.

- Good to see the defense bounce back.

I think the "Stefanski took his offense back" is BS, he's the playcaller and its still his offense. The only thing that was different this week was Watson came out and made plays. I mentioned on game thread that Bitonio was getting destroyed the whole game, I was looking and trying to see if it was because he was trying to help Hudson, nope, he was just getting 1v1 mauled and driven back. Same thing with center, Teller had a decent game but he had a few lapses where he missed his assignment. The tackles were atrocious, Ifedi actually played better than Jones. Jones is so out of shape. But ultimately Dickerson has been a bust. I knew it was going to be an adjustment period and we would have some drop off from Callahan, but its been quite drastic. Callahan was the best there was, Dickerson is a warm body at this point. I'm hoping when Chubb comes back, he's healthy and able to regain his form. Right now teams don't respect the run or pass, with Chubb they couldn't be nowhere near as aggressive as they've been because Chubb will hit that cutback and its off to the races. Chubbs vision hides alot of issues with the Oline

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
R
Legend
Legend
R
Football is the ultimate lesson in recency bias and being a prisoner of the moment.

RE: Watson - he played average which was a huge step up from where he was. Hopefully a sign of things to come, but i wouldn't bet on it. I don't think I've read anything on here that was too over the top on Watson, but a lot of unfounded optimism imo. He played well from the pocket, didn't make too many plus level throws (I only remember one), and he has lost most of his athleticism. At this point, I'd be careful about putting too much stock in yesterday's performance. I was happy how he played from the pocket though. Actually moved his eyes and scanned the field on multiple occasions.

RE: Cooper - lots of over the top takes on Cooper. If anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt, it's Cooper. Could just be going through a bad stretch that he hopefully comes out of. But in the list of things to worry about with the Browns, it's not even in the top 10. If it continues, then sure. But consistent producers, consistent top level play over a long stretch of time, are entitled to a bad stretch without jumping to conclusions.

This team is weird though -

--Their best QB is a third stringer. We can debate this six ways to Sunday, but there is nothing Watson did in the game yesterday that Winston or DTR couldn't do. I said this before, but the difference between a Bo Nix and a DTR is just where they were drafted and the benefit of the doubt and the number of chances they will get. If DTR played the way Nix did yesterday, he'd see the bench and people would run him out of town (and make declarations like "he's never going to be good"). Nix is going to get chance after chance after chance and hopefully for the Broncos sake improve and become the player they hope he can be. But you cannot look at Nix and tell me anything he does better than DTR. DTR has a stronger arm and is more athletic by a country mile. This is frustrating for me to watch what is going on here with this young kid.
--David Bell is getting a lot of reps, and he's not an NFL wide receiver (and is going on IR over a routine tackle).
--Our younger, better WRs we don't seem to try and get involved much.
--We don't seem to know any rules.
--Our two best players, Ward and Garrett, can't stay on the field and get winded after the first series, respectively.
--By the way, Garrett looks like he's lost a step or he just isn't ready to play. If he can't time the snap, get off the ball quickly, and shoulder dip, he can't seem to get to the QB. Doesn't use his hands, his bull rushes are surprisingly weak for a man his size, and he continues to get dumb offsides penalties.
--In general, we don't seem to be developing any talent on this team. All of the team's best players are FAs or trades. I am a big Berry fan, but I'm starting to have some second thoughts. There is no good young talent on the team that is seeing any significant playing time other than Emerson. Every other Berry pick has been underwhelming, can't see the field, or outright busts.

Bring on NYG!

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend
I recognize accomplishment along with people who cover the game for a living. There is no head coach who has dealt with adversity better than KS.
That is obvious to many. Not so for those who lack the capacity to see and understand.

Did you attend training Camp? I must have missed you daily inside report?

" Yeah he used 4 QB's big deal..and you remember how bad 2 of them looked? if it wasn't for the defense its a whole different outcome, and Flacco coming in, forcing Stefanski to dial back his playbook"

What a weak justification to attempt to make a point. Anyone reading that comment can see that.

Reading your game time comments is hilarious.

You go ahead and keep your nonsense going there doesn't need to be anymore said. I don't need to say a thing. Must be hard swallowing your foot all the time.

Last edited by bonefish; 09/16/24 11:39 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's funny.

You see DTR as the best QB on the roster. I see Senaca Wallace. Maybe he ends up somewhere in the middle.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Hammer
R
Legend
Legend
R
And that's ok Peen. We can have a difference of opinion. I respect your opinion on this. I am way, way in the minority on this particular topic. And in the end, I could be wrong. But I am trusting my instincts on this one.

I also think your opinion would be different had he been a higher round pick. And that's part of my point.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Early Week 3 line on DK:

Browns -7
Over/under 38.5

P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't get to see the game but had a few questions I had hoped some of you who did could answer.

The Browns seemed pretty productive in the first have and managed to score regularly. It seemed to be quite different in the second half. Also it seemed the Browns were running pretty well in the first half and not so in the second half.

What were the biggest changes you saw from the fist have to the second half that you believe caused that to happen?

Now I hope you can understand that I am only basing that on what the stats and the highlights have shown so I may be way off base here.

But I would also like to thank the defense. After the Jags started coming on you still held them to 13 points. Our O only put up 16 and you added two more. Teams don't win many games when their O can only muster 16 points so thanks for that!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
biggest issue in the 2nd half? I'd say we were penalized more in the 2nd half (probably by a wide margin) and we got behind the sticks much more

I also think the first half was more "scripted" with our bigger lineup (extra OL and Foreman)

2 members like this: FATE, PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

After week 1, Jake Burns and Andrew Spayde discussed (not in an alarmist way)on their podcast that there seems to be a bit of a disconnect in the vision the FO has for Watson and the Browns offense vs how Stefanski runs his offense.

They noted it is year two of a supposed "revamped offense" and we are still not seeing the RPOs, the motions etc.. They mentioned when things get tight Stefanski tends to revert back to what he knows. Jumbo packages, two TE sets, etc. They mentioned it is something worth monitoring.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
one thing too: we really need to ditch the reverse play near midfield after we have some momentum. You can set you watch by it ... and it is about 10% efficient

D4..I'm sure glad that someone else noticed the Browns tendency to run some kind of gadget play right after the team has a positive play. If we can identify that tendency you know opposing defenses are ready for it.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Rishuz
RE: Cooper - lots of over the top takes on Cooper. If anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt, it's Cooper. Could just be going through a bad stretch that he hopefully comes out of. But in the list of things to worry about with the Browns, it's not even in the top 10. If it continues, then sure. But consistent producers, consistent top level play over a long stretch of time, are entitled to a bad stretch without jumping to conclusions.

You are correct, if anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, it's him. It was also a rough day to catch the ball (wet weather). I also noticed that the WRs were working really hard on the balls they did catch. Watson, even looking as improved as he did, was still not really hitting his WRs in stride. I saw a LOT of balls where the receiver had to contort or drop down to make the catch.

Last edited by oobernoober; 09/16/24 03:03 PM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
It's funny.

You see DTR as the best QB on the roster. I see Senaca Wallace. Maybe he ends up somewhere in the middle.

Maybe so, but he has a better arm than Wallace and maybe more importantly, better spatial awareness and is quicker with decisions. Just my opinion.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2024: TBD
L
Legend
Legend
L
I still don't see where you are getting that.. he's got an average arm and he's shown to be a turnover prone QB so that would be contrary to you awareness and decision making.. sure he may make quick decisions but in games its proven to be bad ones

mac #2083048 09/18/24 02:44 PM
Legend
Legend
Real premium placed by Ski on docking and fooling opponents, like outwitting 'em nets style points. I agree, around midfield I would look for our reverse. Our fist plays in a set of downs are often predictably inefficient short runs which often leave us behind the chains. Add our penchant for penalties on offense, it kills drives.
The other thing I have seen in his plat-calling career, is the closer to red zone, and especially goal line, chances go up for a fooler gadget play or gimmick. Bring the power KS.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2024 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 18 Jaguars 13 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard