Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
That is a great question.

For a long time MLB teams preferred to draft high school players. Their reasoning was they could develop them in the minors. Draft a 17/18 year old and put them through the minor league system.

College players were taken later because they were older. They still needed to go through rookie ball, A, AA, AAA. They didn't face that level of competition in college.

Some pitchers were drafted because they can be on a faster track.

I remember when Bob Horner was drafted by the Braves from Arizona State. He went straight to the majors. I don't think that had been done before.

Paul Skenes will start the All Star game. He is amazing. He was a star in college. He played a year in the minors.

There is also a separate International Draft as well. Plenty of 16 year olds Latinos get signed and developed in MLB team camps in their country.

A lot depends on the player and the organization. The Braves don't hesitate to bring young guys up if they feel he can handle it. Andrew Jones from Curacao was in the majors at nineteen.

Most high school drafted players go to the minors for three years or more. College players can come up quicker if they show maturity early on because they are older.

Bazzana will be on a fast track. He is way advanced for his age. He could get called up as early as this year if he rocks the minors.

Most likely around June of next year.

Times have changed. College baseball has changed. More and more players elect to play college baseball, thus the competition is better. I'd say a guy like Bazzana is on par with a pro prospect at the higher AA level. He may still filter through A ball but to me that is more out of respect to the other players in the system. He will just buzz through A ball to AAA faster over the 2-3-4 season for a younger prospect.

I don't know how many prospects have skipped the minors. I know Al Kaline went from HS to the majors. I think he led the league in hitting his rookie season. Bob Feller pitched in major league games while on summer break between his JR. and Sr. year of high school. Hey Bob, what did you do on summer vacation?

I agree. He probably gets held until later next season. I don't know the rules but it helps teams from a contract control standpoint to hold a player back until they hold a full year of control over bringing a prospect up earlier.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
College has changed.

There are now power baseball schools. Arizona has always been. Now the whole SE Conf. and ACC.

The college World Series has grown and draws more attention.

I really like Bazzana. I am going to follow him for sure.

The Guardians are an exciting team. I really hope they are active in trades here shortly.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. I also like the HS kid, Braylon Doughty. Everything I read is the kid has an upper 90's fastball with command. He holds some risk. We will have to convince him to sign rather than go to Oklahoma State.

I usually advocate going to college. In this case the kids draft slot value is a little over $2.5 mil. I think the money gives you a pretty good head start over a college degree, especially when you take in to account he wants to be a baseball player. At his age he could hit the show by the time he is 20-21.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
This is a good discussion. Some good points are made.

Bazzana is a exciting player. He could be a cornerstone player for many years to come.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks for posting that I love that kind of insight.

East Cobb Baseball Academy has put 44 players into the major leagues.

I coached there for ten years. I have seen Buster Posey, Jeff Francoer, Brandon Phillips, Justin Heyward, Dexter Fowler and others when they were teens.

What separates players from others is dedication and hard work. The ability to not be distracted by things around you. Everyday you work to become great.

It is a grind that never ends. That is what it takes.

Bazzana is made from that cloth and he has the talent to excel.

I am really behind this young man and cannot wait to see play for the Guardians.

Legend
Legend
Travis Bazzana, Guardians' No. 1 draft pick, reaches agreement on contract, per report - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...eaches-agreement-on-contract-per-report/

The Cleveland Guardians have agreed to terms with second baseman Travis Bazzana, the No. 1 pick in this past week's Major League Baseball draft, according to Jim Callis of MLB.com. Callis reports that Bazzana will receive an $8.95 million signing bonus -- that is, for those wondering, well below the $10.57 million slot value associated with the top pick.

Also on Friday, the Cincinnati Reds reportedly agreed to a deal with right-hander Chase Burns, the No. 2 pick in the draft, worth $9.25 million -- the same number reached by third baseman/outfielder Charlie Condon, the No. 3 pick, and the Colorado Rockies.

Burns and Condon's deals, once finalized, will establish the record for the highest signing bonus in draft history.

Here's a look at the all-time top 10, updated with Bazzana's pact:

Chase Burns, 2024, Reds, $9.25 million
Charlie Condon, 2024, Rockies, $9.25 million
Paul Skenes, 2023, Pirates, $9.2 million
Dylan Crews, 2023, Nationals, $9 million
Travis Bazzana, 2024, Guardians, $8.95 million
Spencer Torkelson, 2020, Tigers, $8.42 million
Jackson Holliday, 2022, Orioles, $8.19 million
Druw Jones, 2022, Diamondbacks, $8.19 million
Adley Rutschman, 2019, Orioles, $8.10 million
Jack Leiter, 2021, Rangers, $7.92 million
Coming into the draft, CBS Sports ranked Bazzana as the No. 2 prospect in the class. Here's what we wrote at the time:

Coming into the spring, other front offices believed the Guardians were enamored with Bazzana to an extent that's seldom heard at that phase of the draft cycle. Assuming there was truth to that perception, Bazzana provided the Guardians no reason to alter their stance. He had a phenomenal year, batting .416/.475/.937 with 28 home runs and 16 stolen bases and 40 more walks than strikeouts. Bazzana has above-average strength and speed (though a substandard arm limits him to second base), an excellent command of the strike zone, and as good of a feel for barreling balls as any player in this class. His makeup gets fawned over at every turn, even if he's often docked for being maxed-out physically. (One has to wonder what's more important for a player's long-term success: physical projection, or the metaphysical capacities for growth?) In recent weeks, the industry is again buzzing that Bazzana is the favorite to go No. 1. Of course, the Tao Te Ching states: "Those who know do not talk, and talkers do not know." These decisions do often come down to the final hours, when bluffs go out the window and it's time to do business. Should Bazzana be the pick, he would become the first second baseman to go No. 1.

Oakland Athletics first baseman Nick Kurtz, the No. 4 pick overall, is now remains as the highest unsigned player.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am really stoked about this kid.

So glad the Guardians got him. I look forward to watching him play.

Hopefully he will be a September call up. I think next year around June he will be the starting second baseman.

And he will be a team fixture.

Legend
Legend
Bazzana will be starting at the Lake County Captains. They are a high A farm team near Cleveland

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
What a feeling that must be for Travis Bazzana.

Young, rich, talented with your whole career in front of you.

I hope he becomes a Hall of Famer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Guardians number one pick

Link Copied to Clipboard