Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Legend
OP Online
Legend
A
Just an update: The scar is hardly noticeable. If you didn't know I had 1/10 of the side of my face removed, you'd never see it. It's still numb. When I touch that area, it feels like I still have the bandage on it. I hope the feeling comes back, but if it doesn't, oh well.

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Another cancer survivor here Arch.

Great to hear the "They Got It All" part!!!!!

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
TTTDawg #2070059 06/06/24 11:21 PM
A
Legend
OP Online
Legend
A
Thanks. I'm glad they got it all but I hesitate to call myself a cancer survivor.............simply because it was basal cell. Maybe that's right, maybe that's wrong.

Legend
Legend
Good deal, boss. Glad it all worked out the way it did. thumbsup

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Just an update: The scar is hardly noticeable. If you didn't know I had 1/10 of the side of my face removed, you'd never see it. It's still numb. When I touch that area, it feels like I still have the bandage on it. I hope the feeling comes back, but if it doesn't, oh well.

arch..that's good news..

Thanks for sharing your experience and how you dealt with the issue...it does help to educate the rest of us.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Legend
OP Online
Legend
A
So, take a guess on the cost of the surgery. Keep in mind, for the initial session - freezing several spots, and biopsying 2 others, my cost was about $600. No deductibles had been met - so I paid what they charged, after what the insurance company deducted. If that makes sense. (It's odd to me to get a bill for about 1200, insurance pays nothing, but I only paid about 600)

Surgery consisted of numbing my face, then cutting out.........then a biopsy to see if they got it all. They didn't, so, another cutting of flesh off my face. Another biopsy. Got it all.

Of course, the wait for the bill. It finally came. Take a guess at the total I have to pay. Again, we had not met our deductible.

Legend
Legend
$0

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Arch, money comes and goes- ain't you and I lucky we have enough--- wonder what folks with NO insurance and No money do- have a sister who married poorly and been on welfare for years because her husband died of cancer leaving her in poor house-- old saying---count your blessings and be thankful. Glad you're healthy and happy. All the best to you and yours.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
Legend
Legend
P
How much your bill is will vary greatly depending on the quality of your health insurance policy. We both know the cost of top tier health insurance costs a fortune in this country. Hopefully it wasn't too high. But then what's too high varies depending on one's wealth. I think 50k for a new car is too high. Some people pay 70k, 80k or more and don't bat an eyelash about it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
OP Online
Legend
A
I probably didn't explain it well. I'll try again. The initial visit consisted of freezing several spots, and biopsying 2.

Bill for that came. (now, this was in January - we had not met our $5000 deductible). Bill was for almost 1200. After running it through insurance (the doctor's office did that), they gave a deduction of right around 600. So, I paid the 600.

The surgery, which came in may, well, we are still no where near our 5000 family deductible.

The bill was for just under 4000. Again, insurance paid nothing, but because it was run through insurance - my cost was just a fuzz under 2000.

Again, insurance paid absolutely NOTHING.

When we got the bill I was hesitant to open it. Wife and I made guesses as to how much it would be. I was elated it was only just under 2 grand.

On a side note: How many other items do we purchase where we have no idea of the cost until AFTER? Like, I want to buy that car. Okay, sign here. Well, how much is it? "We'll send you a bill in 4-6 weeks."

And, why do they bill differently if you have insurance, or not? (number of years ago I hurt my calcaneus. Went to an urgent care 2 days later to get x rays. Told them I needed an x ray on my calcaneus. First thing they asked was if I had insurance. I explained that I would just pay for the x ray. They told me they had no idea what it would cost. Hmmmm)

I have a pretty good idea about that.

But, to have cancer removed, and yes, it was only basal cell cancer, but to only pay basically 2600. And that's with insurance paying absolutely 0, I'm good with that.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And just think of all the money you pay for healthcare. And when you needed it the most it was of no value to you.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #2071524 06/24/24 12:58 PM
A
Legend
OP Online
Legend
A
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
And just think of all the money you pay for healthcare. And when you needed it the most it was of no value to you.

WHAT are you talking about. We have a 5000 deductible. We haven't met that. I absolutely expected to pay.

I mean, we have a 1000 deductible on our vehicles. If something happens, and it's less than a grand, we pay it - and we pay a lot for that insurance as well. What are you talking about?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm talking about how healthcare works, or in many cases does not work in America. I'm sorry you became triggered over it. But I'm not surprised by that.

Your car is not your health and certainly a damaged car is not a life and death situation to not only you but your family. That seems like a rather odd comparison to make. I mean I get it, in both cases you're talking bout how insurance works. But healthcare is a matter of life and death. Is that how it should work? Are human beings simply objects? A lot of people that have had their homes foreclosed on over medical debts seem to think that's how insurance companies treat humans. Just another object.

I'm gad didn't cost you more. You are a lot luckier than many people who can not afford decent healthcare or do not have healthcare in America.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The US healthcare system is broken.

If you are on Medicare with Plan D and you pay monthly for supplemental healthcare like United Healthcare. You are on a Medicare Advantage which is federally subsidized.

All the insurance carriers have a "donut hole" on prescription drugs where there is a coverage gap.

Jardiance is for heart and diabetes patients.

After 3 months the cost goes from about $50 to $150 for 30 days supply.

That is because Medicare sets a $5030 yearly amount where when exceeded you go from paying 10% of what they charge the insurance company to 25%.

At $50 you are paying 10% at $150 you are paying 25%.

It is a shell game. There is no oversight. The numbers do not add up.

Cost for three "Tier 3" drugs out of pocket goes from $150 to $450 for 30 days. Drugs that are Tier 1 and 2 cost like $2.00 for 30 days to 90 days.

Many people have to make a decision about risking a stroke or death because they cannot afford the drugs they need.

After paying for Medicare when you started to work and then paying for additional insurance. many people cannot afford what they need.

The healthcare system in this country is badly broken and it needs private enterprise drug companies, insurance companies, doctors (AMA) and the federal government to work for the citizens to provide healthcare that is affordable to the masses.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... T- 23 hours

Link Copied to Clipboard